Sunday, June 25, 2006

Salad with your beans?


I had a taco salad Friday night at some restaurant in Staunton, VA. It came in a big crispy tortilla bowl. After a layer of cheese, lettuce and black olives came the biggest heap of refried beans I've seen this side of Texas. I ate about a can of beans, scraped off the remaining scraps of lettuce and saw about two more cans staring me in the face. I submitted to the taco salad, admitting defeat, humiliation. Laying down my fork for the last time, the waitress came by to ask if I needed anything further...to which I replied, "a little feedback for the kitchen...the taco salad was okay, but at times I felt like I was in a refried bean eating contest!" She laughed, then quipped back, "but you didn't lean over and wiggle your face in the beans" while mimicking a hands-free bean eating contest with her head shaking back and forth. "I would have, but after getting through the first can of beans, I didn't think I had it in me to eat two more" I replied. We all laughed, then we left. I don't think I'd order the taco salad at that place again.

No comments: