Tuesday, August 12, 2008

If Mac is so great then...

...why did the first Mac I've ever had turn out to be a lemon?

We recently got a Mac, after a lifetime of PCs (except for that old Apple IIe when I was little). I was excited to see what this little fella could do. After all, I had heard so many great things about the oh so powerful and mighty Mac. Scores of friends who had converted years before me had espoused the wonders of the Mac.

It was now my turn.

I get to see the glimmering white rectangular box sit on my lap. I get to feel the smooth click of the keyboard. I get to experience the awesome power of the graphics card/chip or whatever you call it. Me. My turn!

We got it on a Friday. We connected to the internet. We played with Garage Band. We began the Mac honeymoon.

Saturday morning...we woke up. We powered the Mac up. We opened one of the many glorious apps. Then...

All was silent. The mouse was ineffective. The precious keyboard lost life. The beautiful screen was frozen. The Mac forgot it was a Mac. It appeared to be doing it's best Windows based PC impression. To say the least, a stunning rendition.

We turned it off, then on, then off, then on, then off, then on. Battery out, battery in, battery out, battery in. Hard reset, soft reset. Call Apple...need help. Off, on, battery out, battery in, hard reset, soft reset, Control, Apple, Delete...nothing.

The Apple rep told me to box it up. We lost her. We got a lemon. Before the honeymoon had gotten into full swing...we lost her.

Of course, it took about two weeks for Apple to replace the new Mac. It was as if they were more stunned than we. They didn't seem to know what to do! It was as if they were saying..."give it back!" "You're not worthy of such a wonderful machine." "You can't even get through the first 24 hours without ruining it!"

I felt guilty. "What did I do?" said I. Could it have been my fault? Did I open up too many apps at once? Was I moving too fast for it? Did my fingers still smell like PC?

We now have the replacement. It works fine. But, my first impression of Mac is tumultuous. A love/hate relationship we've started off with. It's complicated.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim,
First off, it is GREAT to see an updated post on your blog. This is a blog, right - where one provides posts on a regular interval of what they are doing - right? I have no room to talk - I don't even have a blog, so I'll just shut up about that. Second off (?), I am sad to hear of your tumultuous relationship with Mac. Really, your story does seem to be uncommon, and I hope this replacement machine comes through for you with "flying colors". Give it a chance, and allow the years of windows keyboard typing to finally seep from your withered fingers, providing new life for your fingers and new love for your new Mac. MAC FOREVAH!!!!

brad