Monday, February 23, 2009

Where's the love?

I keep hearing references to simple or organic church. Much of the motive behind this movement and passion seems to be quite refreshing. It is interesting, however, that many seem to be mixing up a model with a set of values. Far too often, I'm hearing simple/organic along with all sorts of wonderful adjectives in one sentence, and words like institutional with all sorts of negative adjectives in the next sentence. I'm concerned that we are tying the wonderful adjectives too closely to a particular model of doing church and the negative adjectives too closely with another model of doing church.

The language we use has an effect, intended or not. The word, institutional, is used for the church model that has dominated the Church for the past 1600 years or so. It is the model most of us are familiar with... the dominating characteristics of the model are a service, a sermon, some form of musical accompaniment, prayer, maybe communion, maybe an offering. In the Orthodox and Roman Catholic church, it takes place in the form of a Mass. In the Protestant church, it is a service. 

Back to this word institutional. What does this word bring to mind?

To me, I think about an old insane asylum...back in the days when shock therapy was vogue. Or, I think about rows and rows of office cubicles filled with hundreds of mindless lemmings (as depicted in the movie, The Matrix). Or, I think of old school government bureaucracy...with loads of red tape and frustrating, anti-progressive policies/procedures.

So, I guess it's only natural that when I hear all these folks espousing their model with all sorts of wonderful adjectives, then, with a thin veil of humility and brotherhood, referring to a more traditional model as "institutional," I cringe. I cringe because I've been in those institutional churches before and met some amazing people. I cringe because the term is, quite frankly, abusive to the millions of Jesus followers throughout history who have encountered, fallen in love with and dedicated their lives to God in the "institutional" church. I cringe because I know the leaders of some of those institutional churches and their relationship with Jesus is more alive and dynamic than most people I know.

It seems the conversation on simple/organic church has a lot of potential. But, the people behind the dialogue have to make some choices. Go the route of post-modernism, which seems to define everything by what it rejects (e.g. institutional) and as a result, often boils down to a cesspool of despair. Or, go the route of modernism, give up the dialogue (or just make it academic) and return to the traditional church. Or, find a higher way...recognize that a model is just a value-neutral tool that can be associated with wonderful or negative adjectives. Instead of splintering the Church further, make an honest attempt at lovingly, tactfully, thoughtfully and carefully revitalizing those values that have guided Christian thinking for centuries (defined by God and handed to us from Jesus through his earliest disciples and our Christian ancestors), within the context of the current Church.

Maybe we should ask a simple question. Did Jesus try to start a new church or did he attempt to revolutionize the current church?

2 comments:

Fearless Lover said...

Totally agree Jim. Good stuff! Hope you and your family are doing well. We should definitely hang out soon. God bless

Maggie said...

Thanks!!! Exactly! Speaking as one who has been a huge proponent of the "organic/simple church" movement (and considers myself a part of the movement actually), my biggest beef is the the reactionary feel of some (not all) segments of it. I too have felt myself cringe at the word "institutional" used to describe my brothers and sisters in Christ.

And how do we define that term anyway... do we become "institutional" when we have a building? when we have a bank account? When we get a tax-exempt status? Do any of these things really matter? Perhaps they have the potential to distract us from the simplicity of the Gospel, but is it a given? I don't think so.

God may be calling us to fresh models of church, but at the center of it has to be love, and whatever form works in the context of that love will be the right form for that group.

So much more I could say, but no time to say it now.

Thanks so much for this blog entry, Jim. All I can say is "Amen!"

- Maggie (yeah, the Maggie you know, and who will be at your house tonight)